By: Rachel DeGrane
November is Military Family Appreciation Month. This is a time to take a moment and recognize those who have a member of their family in the service. We may not see it, but just like their family member, the family is serving too.
Each day those who are part of a military family wake up ready to serve. They stand by their service member’s side through long trainings, deployments, and the adjustment when arriving back home. These families are what keep members of the service going. Military families are what fuel those who serve; especially when the service member is deployed.
There are SO many ways that we can honor and serve military families this month! As a way to say thank you for everything they do, here are just a few ideas:
- Perform random acts of kindness like mowing the lawn, shoveling the driveway, cooking a meal, etc.
- Send an anonymous care package – Create a spa day kit, a game day snack pack, or a movie basket filled with popcorn and goodies!
- Get a group of friends together and write thank you notes to the members AND their families.
- Collect a donation for the family or a local veteran’s charity.
- Offer to watch the kids so the spouse can have a self-care day knowing their children are being well cared for while they’re gone.
- LISTEN! Sometimes all people need is to talk. Whether about their family member in the service, life circumstances, or the football game that was on last night.
From all of us here at Owens Counseling, thank you for your service. If you or someone you know just needs someone to listen and process with, we have multiple therapists here ready to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to call our office at: 847-854-4333