Men’s Health Week 2019
By Carley George, Human Development Intern
So what is men’s health week?!
This is the week all about men! The week leading up to Father’s Day, aims to raise awareness of men’s health issues. This does not only include physical health, but mental health as well! This week focuses on preventable health problems and encourages early detection and treatment among men and boys.
Some key numbers that men should keep in mind to maintain a healthy lifestyle:
- 120/80 – normal blood pressure
- 150 – men should aim for 150 minutes of moderate physical activity a week!
- 37 – a waist size of 37 inches or above puts men at increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer
- 5 – men should aim to eat 5 portions of fruit and veggies a day
- 10 – cigarette smokers die an average of 10 years younger than non-smokers
- 75 – 75% of suicides (3 out of 4) are by men
Tips to stay healthy:
- Cover up when you are out in the sun- especially if your job requires you to be outside constantly.
- Work out regularly, and make sure to stretch prior!
- Keeping your body warmed up and loose helps with joint and muscle lock ups!
- Make annual checkups a priority!!
How can we support Men’s Health Week?
- Wear a blue ribbon to support men’s health!
- Encourage the men in your life to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Know that there are many resources to reach out to for mental and/or physical health problems.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help!!