According to the AATA, Art Therapy is an integrative mental health methodology that enriches the lives of individuals, families, and communities through active art-making, creative process, applied psychological theory, and human experience in a therapeutic setting.
So, aside from all the technical jargon, what does that actually mean? Essentially, artistic expression can be a creative way to foster:
• Knowing and being known
• Telling the truth
• Creating safety
• Expressing feelings, hopes, dreams, uniqueness
Art Therapy in Action
Art Therapy for Adolescents
Still not sure if Art Therapy is right for you?
• Could you use help expressing yourself to people around you?
• Do you find talk therapy only helps you express yourself in one way?
• Do you enjoy using your hands?
• Are you a creative person or one who appreciates art?
• Do you find it easier to learn visually or “hands-on”?
• Do you often use creativity to problem-solve?
• Do you ever feel like words are not enough?
• Do you sometimes feel stuck or see verbal communication as a barrier?
• Do your feelings seem too messy or blurry to try to figure out?